History Timeline

From humble beginnings:


1915 - Watsons Meat Established

The Watson name has been synonymous with the meat industry in the Southern Cape since then.


1933 - New premises

Moved to a bigger building newly build on the corner of Cradock and Fichat Street.


1954 - Established Meat Factory

In 1954 JJ Watson established the only meat factory in the South-West District. Stretching from the Cape to Port Elizabeth.


1956 - Fleisch Meister Qualified

EC Watson qualifies as Fleischmeister in Germany and receives his diploma.


1966 - Meat Prices

Bacon at 28c L.B - Lamb chops at 37c L.B - Fillet at 55c L.B (the good old days!)


1988 - 4th Generation

In 1988 the 4th generation Watsons enter the meat industry.


1992 - Piggery Established

1992 a new piggery was put in place that today supplies more than 50% of the total pork meat stock.


1995 - Growing Pains

Watsons Cradock processing area doubles in size!


1999 - Shop space doubles

Watsons Cradock shop floor doubles in size!


2000 - York Street Butchery Opens

New building acquired in York street. Business is booming!


2008 - 1st Non-Family Member

Watsons Meat accepts first non-family shareholder into the business in over 100 years.


2009 - Watsons Cradock

Sales floor doubles in size yet again!


2013 – Watsons Cradock

Watsons expand and improved its production areas to comply to Food Safety Audit and Laws as well as the rising demand for its products.

History Gallery